2022 PrepareRI College Internship Program
Thank you for your interest in the PrepareRI College Internship Program. Please read through the entire application before applying to make sure you are eligible.
The PrepareRI College Internship Program is operated by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future. For questions about this application process, please contact Christopher Abreu (SkillsRI) at 401-680-5969 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
The PrepareRI College Internship Program is an intense work-based learning experience for first-generation college students, enrolled at a Rhode Island college/university, during the 2021-2022 academic year and who are in good standing, as determined by institutional standards.
The PrepareRI College Internship Program will provide eligible first-generation college students with a paid work opportunity during the summer of 2022. First-generation college students are typically defined as a student whose parent(s) did not complete a four-year college or university degree. However, at Skills for Rhode Island’s Future, we understand that this definition may not fully account for the rich diversity of first-generation college students.
We believe first-generation students who self-identify as not having prior exposure to or knowledge of navigating higher institutions and may need additional resources. For example, if a parent attended a four-year college in a different educational system outside of the United States; if a student has only had close contact to people with minimal college experience; if a student and/or parent feel that they are unfamiliar with college culture, students of immigrant parents and students from low socio-economic backgrounds. We believe first-generation college students are highly motivated and eager to excel in a college and career. Our internship program is designed to give you the career exposure needed to break down any barriers to long-term, meaningful employment.
College interns will be placed with local employers across industry sectors. Student-employer matching will be decided based on college majors, career interests, and employer hiring needs. The PrepareRI College Internship Program will be offered in the summer of 2022, for up to 75 currently enrolled (carrying a minimum of 60 college credits) first-generation college students, in their sophomore - senior year at Rhode Island colleges/universities. Students must be highly motivated to learn and look to gain professional work experience that aligns to their college major.
To learn more about the program before you apply, please contact Christopher Abreu at SkillsRI at 401-680-5969 and ask about the PrepareRI College Internship Program.
INTERNSHIP ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a first generation college student currently enrolled at a college or university located in Rhode Island
- Must be a sophomore, junior or senior
- Must be a Rhode Island resident (permanent, in-state tuition)
- Must be at least 18 years of age by March 1, 2022
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Must complete the online PrepareRI College Internship Application
- Must attend one of our mandatory orientation sessions being held between October 16, - December 22, 2021
- Complete an interview with SkillsRI staff and/or with employers
- Attend a 40-hour work-readiness training scheduled for
- January 17, 2022
- May 23, 2022
- Commit to at least 150 hours of work from June 1, 2022 – August 26, 2022
- Have a flexible schedule that will allow for a range of hours at your potential placement
APPLICATION & PROGRAM TIMELINE:
- October 1, 2021: Application OPENS
- December 15, 2021: Application due by 11:59 pm. Incomplete or late applications will NOT BE CONSIDERED
- October 16 – December 22, 2021,: Mandatory student orientation sessions held virtually through Zoom
- October 21 – December 30, 2021: PrepareRI interview
- November 5, 2021 – March 10, 2022: Employer matching
- May 2, 2022: Students notified of acceptance into the program and internship employer placements
- January 17- 21, 2022 or May 23-27, 2022 Mandatory work readiness boot camp training for students selected
- June 1, 2022 – August 26, 2022: Internships take place. Student must commit to at least 150 hours during the summer of 2022, based on employer demand
Application opens on October 1, 2021 at 1:00 PM and are due by December 15, 2021 at 11:59 pm. Late or incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
Applications will only be accepted online here; paper applications will NOT be accepted.
To apply, you must register for an account; once you register, you may start and save your application online.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and employer matching will begin by November 2021. To secure an internship that best aligns with your career interest, we strongly encourage you to apply early.
If you have any trouble saving or submitting your application, please contact Christopher Abreu (SkillsRI) at 401-680-5969 or email@example.com.
SkillsRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and program provider. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY via RI Relay 711. Language access services in your preferred language can be provided at no cost to you. Call (401) 680-5969 for assistance in the translation and understanding of the information in this document.