2021 PrepareRI High School "Virtual" Internship Program
Thank you for your interest in the PrepareRI “Virtual” Internship Program. Please read through the application before applying to make sure you are eligible for the PrepareRI “Virtual” Internship Program.
The PrepareRI “Virtual” Internship Program is funded by the RI Governor’s Workforce Board (RI GWB) and American Student Assistance (ASA). The PrepareRI “Virtual” Internship Program is operated by Skills for Rhode Island’s Future (SkillsRI). For questions about this application process, please call SkillsRI at 401-680-5960 and ask about the PrepareRI “Virtual” Internship Program.
ABOUT THE VIRTUAL INTERNSHIP
The PrepareRI “Virtual” Internship Program is a rigorous industry project based learning experience where current high school juniors are placed in a paid 6-week summer virtual internship. The program will be held over 6 weeks, 32 hours per week from July 12 – August 20, with a “pitch competition” on August 23-25, 2021.
Please note, this year’s program will be held virtually.
Students will work in student led corporations and work with employer partners to solve problem statements that employers identify as a real industry need.
The “Pitch Competition” is where students will pitch their solutions/ final projects in a “Shark Tank” style presentation for final student corporation ranking. The winning student corporation from our 2020 class designed a prototype of a wearable device for the military to help detect COVID-19 related symptoms. Students worked with engineers, designers, business developers and military leaders to learn and develop their solutions.
Students selected into the program will make $11.50/hour and be expected to work 32 hours/week for 6 weeks.
The PrepareRI ”Virtual” Internship will employ up to 300 current high school juniors. We are looking for students who are highly motivated to learn and wanting to explore the world of work. We DO NOT require a certain grade point average (GPA) or attendance record. We believe in creating access to high-quality work-based learning opportunities for students of all abilities.
If you want to learn more about the program before you apply, we are here to answer questions. Please call Skills RI at 401-680-5960 and ask about the PrepareRI “Virtual” Internship Program.
INTERNSHIP ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Attend Rhode Island public school
- Junior in high school (2020/2021 school year)
- Rhode Island resident
- Minimum of 16 years of age by March 30, 2021
- Eligible to work in the United States (e.g., social security number, work permit, green card)
- Parental/Guardian consent to participate
- Complete online PrepareRI “Virtual” Internship Application
- Attend 32-hour work-readiness training scheduled for July 12 - July 16, 2021 from 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Commit to work 7 weeks, 32 hrs. per week between July 12 – August 25, 2021 from 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Have a flexible schedule for work during the summer of 2021
APPLICATION & PROGRAM TIMELINE (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
Phase 1: Application
- January 13, 2021: Application goes Live
- February 15, 2021: Application due by 11:59 pm.
Incomplete or late applications will NOT BE CONSIDERED
- February 22, 2021: Decisions for Phase 2 advancement
Phase 2: Orientations & School Interviews
- February 24– March 20, 2021: Mandatory student-parent/guardian orientation virtual sessions. Notices with dates will be sent to all eligible applicants
- March 8 – April 2, 2021: Virtual interviews with SkillsRI
- April 9, 2021: Decisions for Phase 3 advancement
Phase 3: Final Selection & Corporation Assignment
- May 15, 2021: Final Decisions
- May 15 – May 28, 2021: Student corporation assignments
- April 19 – June 30, 2021: Student Career Enhancement (I.e.: Virtual Internships, Virtual Meeting Etiquette, Microsoft, etc.)
- May 17 – June 30, 2021: Student Onboarding
Phase 4: Virtual Internship
- July 12 – July 16, 2021: Virtual Work-Readiness Bootcamp
- July 19 – Aug 20, 2021: Virtual Problem Statement/ Corporation Work
- Aug 23- 25, 2021 Pitch Competition
Applications open on January 13, 2021 and are due by February 15, 2021 at 11:59 pm. Late applications or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Applications will only be accepted online here: www.skillsforri.com/prepare-ri-internship-program.
Paper applications will NOT be accepted.
You may start and save your application online. To save your application and return to complete at a later time, you will need to create a log-in account. We strongly encourage you to write down your log-in account information and the save your work along the way.
If you need help filling out the application, please contact your school career coordinator, school guidance counselor or school principal. If you have any trouble saving or submitting your application please contact (SkillsRI) at 401-680-59690 or email@example.com.
Nosotros le podemos ofrecer la información en el idioma de su preferencia sin costo alguno para usted. Llame a Skills for Rhode Island’s Future al (401) 680-5960 para pedir asistencia en traducir y entender la información en este documento.
SkillsRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and program provider. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. TTY via RI Relay 711. Language access services in your preferred language can be provided at no cost to you. Call (401) 680-5960 for assistance in the translation and understanding of the information in this document.